Monday, June 02, 2008

New David Morrell Novel: THE SPY WHO CAME FOR CHRISTMAS

I've been waiting for the cover art of David Morrell's upcoming novel The Spy Who Came for Christmas for several weeks, and finally, earlier today, I found it. Maybe. This image came from eBay--there is an ARC for sale, a subject (selling ARCs before the release of a title) I would love to talk about, but I'll save it for another time because it's a subject that deserves more space and thought than I have at the moment.

The previously stated disclaimer--the "maybe"--comes about because cover art has been known to change between the ARC release and the final trade edition. So don't be surprised if it looks different when it hits bookstore shelves. But if it doesn't, it's not a bad cover

The Spy Who Came for Christmas is scheduled for release October 28th, 2008 and it's a short holiday season novel. The type that has become hip over the past few years for best-selling novelists to write; the type of novel I try to avoid really, but this one is written by David Morrell. Could it be bad? I hope not. And I hope Morrell goes easy on the Christmas propaganda. Oh, I hope I hope.

Here is a snippet of an interview David Morrell did over at Bookreporter.com. He makes the story sound interesting, but I still have a few slight reservations; but who am I kidding. I'll read it and very probably like it.

Next year's book is called The Spy Who Came for Christmas. It's a contemporary action espionage story that takes place on Christmas Eve in Santa Fe, New Mexico, where I live. Santa Fe is a major holiday destination for travelers. We have a mile long street called Canyon Road that has about 1,000 art galleries and is lit spectacularly for the holidays. The story takes place there. At one point, the main character, a spy, takes refuge in a home where he discovers that he has put a family in danger. As he prepares the house for a siege, he tries to calm the family by telling them the spy's version of the traditional Nativity story. I did a lot of historical research based on events in the New Testament. Readers will be surprised by the background I've uncovered. None of it is faith-threatening, but it does make the often-told traditional Nativity story more vivid. The book will probably have some illustrations...

To read the entire interview go Here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A David Morrell Christmas novel, wow. Morrell always delivers a quality product, hopefully this one will follow that trend. Thanks for the info. I now have another book to put on my "must keep an eye out for" list. At least it'll make the Christmas crowds at B&N easier to deal with.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I hadn't thought of that. I know my local B&N is a place I avoid throughout the month of December. Now, maybe, I have a reason to brave the horrid crowds, rude customers, and cold weather. Maybe.

Ben